Funding Resources

  • Rebuilding Together – (National) This organization offers low-income homeowners critical home repairs, accessibility modifications, and energy-efficient upgrades. This organization is well funded and has multiple corporate supports.
  • Habitat for Humanity – This organization is dedicated to making sure everyone in the world has a safe, secure, adequate, and affordable place to live. Habitat can offer funding, resources, and volunteers to a local cause.
  • The America Association of People with Disabilities – This organization is dedicated to fighting for the rights of disabled individuals. This organization could be a great resource for funding and finding other helpful organizations.
  • Mobility International USA – An organization dedicated to helping people with disabilities live accessible lives. They could be a great source of volunteers and funding.
  • Area Agencies on Aging are located across the country and are designated to support older persons with a variety of needs, including home modifications and repair, find your local office using the link or call 1-800-677-1116.
  • Home Depot Foundation: Provides grants and volunteers to support disaster relief and recovery.
  • State Assistive Technology Programs – The Assistive Technology Act supports programs in every state to provide resources for assistive technology to individuals with disabilities of all ages. These programs may provide device demonstrations, loans, reutilization, and financing. Check out this resource on Alternative Financing Programs from National Disability Institute.
  • Consolidated Plan Funds. Funds controlled by a state/local housing agency’s Consolidated Plan, specifically Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) and HOME Investment Partnership program funds are potentially valuable resources for covering the cost of making accessibility modifications.
  • State Housing Finance Agency (HFA) Programs. State HFAs are another potential source of financial assistance for covering the costs of accessibility modifications. In some states, HFAs may provide low interest rate loans to make accessibility modifications.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation Programs. Some state vocational rehabilitation departments provide accessibility modification assistance. These funds usually pay for the actual modifications rather than reimbursing the tenant.
  • 1915(c) Home and Community-Based Services Waiver. If the State has included home or environmental modifications as a waiver service this service is available to persons enrolled in the waiver and who need modifications to their living environment to move to or remain in the community. Exactly what modifications will be reimbursed depends on how the State has crafted the service definition.
  • 1915(i) Home and Community-Based Service State Plan Option. The recent changes made to 1915(i) as part of the Affordable Care Act permit States to include, at their option, the same types of services that were previously only available through a waiver. This would include home or environmental modifications if the State has designed their 1915(i) benefit to include such services.
  • Money Follows the Person (MFP) Demonstration. The Money Follows the Person (MFP) demonstration also includes options for paying for accessibility modifications. These options are more flexible than under 1915(c) or 1915(i) and are offered specifically through a State’s MFP program.
  • Medicare generally does not cover much in the way of home usability. However, it does cover some types of durable medical equipment and a variety of home health services.
  • Home Depot – (National) The Home Depot Foundation has a mission to improve the homes and lives of U.S military veterans and their families. They do not work directly with individuals but instead work with organizations that either help veterans specifically or make a community impact.
  • Veterans Affairs – (National) Veterans Affairs is a government run organization that oversees the care and services of veterans. They do not offer any volunteer work but can help with compensation for disabilities, sexual / personal trauma, or employability related to a war or an injury that occurred while serving in the military.
  • The American Red Cross provides financial assistance for eligible active military service members, veterans, and direct members of their families. If you became disabled while on duty, this organization may help you in effectively updating your home to meet your new needs.
  • Specially Adapted Housing Program: The SAH grant is designed to help disabled Veterans by providing a barrier-free living environment, such as a wheelchair accessible home, that affords them a level of independent living they may not otherwise enjoy. Veterans and Servicemembers with specific service- connected disabilities may be entitled to a grant for the purpose of constructing or modifying a home to meet their adaptive needs, up to the current maximum of $109,986.
National Fair Housing Advocate Online – This organization is here to help organize and advocate for fair housing organizations. If you feel that your project falls under the fair housing law and need help find a local affiliate to help you advocate for your consumer, this may be helpful.
The Rural Housing Repair Loans and Grants Program is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Recipients must be 62 years or older and from low-income households. Funds may be used to modify existing residences, or can be used to install new home features that create safer living quarters for residents. State offices of the USDA also offer assistance at local levels, and some have broader eligibility requirements.