row of colorful cartoon houses

This website is part of the Research and Training Center on Promoting Interventions for Community Living (PICL). PICL is a collaborative effort between the University of Kansas and the University of Montana.

RTCIL at the University of Kansas

The Research and Training Center on Independent Living  is made up of a team committed to research that can be used to enhance Independent Living (IL) for people with disabilities.

Our mission is to further Independent Living for people with disabilities by collaborating with consumers on productive research and by using innovative methods to disseminate useful knowledge.

Our team is based at The University of Kansas in the Life Span Institute. We partner with researchers at other universities and professionals at a variety of other disability organizations

RTC: RURAL at the University of Montana

Housed within the Rural Institute for Inclusive Communities the Research and Training Center on Disability in Rural Communities (RTC: RURAL) is an organization that has been conducting research at the University of Montana for the last 30 years.

RTC: RURAL is funded by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR) to improve the ability of people with disabilities to engage in rural community living.

We achieve our goals by conducting research, offering training and technical assistant to service providers, working to reduce barriers to community participation, and by presenting rural issues to disability groups. The staff at the RTC: RURAL hope that their work will help improve the lives of individuals living with disabilities in rural areas.

Please feel free to contact us for more information.


The contents of this website were developed under a grant from the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR grant number 90RT5043). NIDILRR is a Center within the Administration for Community Living (ACL), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The contents of this (insert type of publication; e.g., book, report, film) do not necessarily represent the policy of NIDILRR, ACL, HHS, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal Government.